Healthy, delicious food doesn’t have to mean hours spent in the kitchen. Katarina’s silky summer vegetable soup almost makes it self and is a crowd-pleaser.
It was my first week living in London and my friend Katarina was letting me stay at her flat while I was searching for one of my own. A Saturday was spent seeing one hideous place after another, trying to find that gem in a desired neighborhood on my student budget. Needless to say, it was a challenge.
Spring had just come to London, and it was remarkably hot. At least it felt like it was after a cold London, wet and windy winter. Hence, it was more than popular when Katarina whipped up this kale and other vegetable soup. She served it with chilled white wine. Not a mistake my friend.
Obviously, I asked for the recipe. Katarina’s vegetable soup tasted amazing, I loved how the soup was creamy and light at the same time. The kale gives it a vibrant, mouthwatering green shade and with the spicy chilli – this vegetable soup, I dare to say, is boyfriend friendly! Yes. It is the unicorn of vegetable soups. Tried and true.
Katarina had just thrown stuff in there, so she didn’t remember quantities so feel free to experiment with this one. Below are the quantities of ingredients I use however, and that brings us down to a total of 80 calories per bowl! Enough said.
Post title from “Ooh la la” by Britney Spears.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 7 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium head cauliflower chopped
- 100 g kale
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 feds garlic chopped
- lemon Freshly squeezed.
- 1-2 whole chili peppers finely chopped
- vegetable stock
- Mince the garlic. Chop up the onion, carrots and cauliflower.
- Saute the onion and garlic in 1/4 tsp of olive oil until they are translucent.
- Add the carrots and cauliflower.
- Add water until the vegetables are just about covered.
- Add stock, salt and pepper.
- Boil until most of the water as evaporated and the vegetables are soft.
- Blend it smooth with a blender.
- Add the kale, and blend for a couple of more minutes. Then let it heat for another 5 minutes.
- Mince the chili pepper and slice up the lemon.
- Pour the soup into the serving bowl(s) and carefully drizzle olive oil over it. Squeeze over some lemon juice and sprinkle chili peppers on top.
Serve chilled with extra lemon wedges and chili flakes.